Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Fay Grim < Henry Fool

"Centuries ago it had an "e" at the end of it".




Oh boy, I don't know what to say about this one since I've been such a huge fan of Henry Fool (1997) and Hal Hartley as a director for so many years. Fay Grim is a digitally shot (painfully so) sequel to the aforementioned Henry Fool and takes place 7 years after Henry was seen running down the tarmac (towards the plane?). Here, the story is taken to a place I never imagined the characters would or could go so it felt a bit forced. BUT BUT BUT, I've got to give it up for the incredibly rad performances by Parker Posey (Fay), Jeff Goldblum, James Urbaniak (Simon Grim), Liam Aiken (Ned) and Thomas Jay Ryan (Henry). Now, the movie does fare better after Fay makes it to Turkey and the ending was perfect. It's definitely worth a watch, especially for Hartley fans but don't get too weirded out by where the story goes. I actually came close to turning it off to watch Pirates 2. Glad I stuck it out though. Pirates will be for tonight before the season finale of LOST. Ooooooooooooooo!!! Can't wait for that!!