Friday, November 04, 2005

The Squid and the Whale

Aside from the fact that 5 female hippopatomi in heat were behind us chomping on random snacks, talking in conversation level voice and rocking the back of my seat the entire duration of the film (yeah, I know. I could have moved), this movie kicked me upside the head. In a good way. Like the way Eternal Sunshine did. Only the world that these characters live in is much more unwelcoming and cold. It's just a more head-on look at the absurdity of most all relationships. It was great.

Just like the lead character in Thumbsucker, I instantly had a mini-crush on the older brother character, Walt Berkman (played by Jesse Eisenberg). I guess I must have a thing for awkward boys with moppy hair. Oh movie crushes! But I digress...

The main idea? Divorce sucks. Especially if you have 2 kids who happen to be the only people around with any redeemable qualities. One is in their awkward phase of later adolesence and the other is mucking through pre-pubesence with a sinister penchant for smearing cum on lockers and library books at school.

Oh yeah, and there's a Baldwin (Billy) that pops up every now and then and says "my brother" a lot.