Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

It was not as golden as the trailer led me to believe. We patronized the Arclight last night for its AFI Director's Pre-Screening of this movie (I almost typed "film", whoops) and I left with a headache. Granted, the few times we actually see Emily Rose in her possessed state are thoroughly terrifying. Sure. Though after I let it sink into my skull overnight, the overall "made-for-TV-movie" feel doesn't let the aforementioned horror elements breathe nearly enough. The whole story is actually centered around the investigation of Emily's death at the hands of the priest in charge of the exorcism and takes place some time after the event. Too much Laura Linney, not enough demons and Emily Rose. It's not that I really wanted to know Emily as a character but just seeing more of her possession would have sufficed for sheer entertainment value. Man, the girl they cast as Emily was a visual freakshow. She certainly had the part down pat-- demonic, contorted poses and all. I wouldn't suggest that you stay away from this movie but if you're curious and must see it for horror's sake, just go in with the info I armed you with.



My web server is having problems which means nothing to anyone else but me because I can't check my highandlow email. I never realized how annoyed a problem this trivial would make me. Oh well. Baby steps. Baby steps.