Tuesday, July 19, 2005

All the hype?

I've been listening to the much hyped Clap Your Hands Say Yeah album for the past few days but I'm really not hearing what everyone's talking about yet. Yes, it is a very good and solid record. Though unlike the Pitchfork review of it being the second coming of Christ's soundtrack, I find it to be just a good and solid record, nothing that breaks any new ground or has me quoting Hamlet. The singer has severe David Byrne overtones to his vocals and the music feels like an early Yo La Tengo recording. Don't get me wrong-- these are very good things to have going for them. I think I just need to spend some more time with this so I don't feel so disappointed by the build up. Hurry to Insound.com though if you want to buy one of what little copies of the second printing they still have.



On the other hand, I will unabashedly hype the band, Wolf Parade with everything I got in my tiny metal heart. Their new EP of 4 songs is such a tease! This recording (produced by Modest Mouse's Isaac Brock) has more balls than the entire English Rugby team. Please download it from iTunes and listen to what I'm talking about. Come on, it's only a $4 gamble. You'll thank me when their full length album comes out in September, sells out all over the place and you're the cool kid on your block who can say you had the EP like 3 months ago. Well you may not be cool but you can say that.